heaven for nonChristians
Question from Elaine T. on 1/6/2008:

I recently had a conversation with a Buddhist friend who told me that our Protestant, (Presbyterian), friend does not believe that any Buddhists can enter Heaven, that they go to some other place if they have lived good lives. What is the Catholic belief and response to this? Thank, Elaine

Answer by Matthew Bunson on 1/16/2008:

The best answer to this was provided by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and its document called Dominus Iesus, a clear restatement of the Church’s teaching on the salvific universality of the mystery of Jesus Christ and the Church. I would suggest that you read this document at: http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20000806_dominus-iesus_en.html

Feel free to re-post if you still have questions.