How is Roman Catholicism the right religion?
Question from Eric on 12/27/2007:

Hello Mr. Bunson, I am a Roman Catholic and my friend was formerly a muslim and now she is an atheist. Yet she seeks to learn if God exists and if he does which religion is the right one. She uses the Trinitarian argument as the reason why she believes Jesus is not God, also she goes on to say that there are many versions of Bibles. Her question to me is "Why should I follow Roman Catholicism?" And why is it important for her to recognize that Jesus is Our True God and the Holy Roman Catholic Church is his only Church. Thank You

Answer by Matthew Bunson on 1/4/2008:

You ask a major question, and one that is asked frequently of Catholics and also of believers in general.

The answer is not complicated so much as it asks much of you (and of all of us). The best way to begin answering her is for you to be the best Catholic possible…to make yourself a model for what you want her to become and to make clear to her the goodness and holiness that a Catholic ought to live and to show to the world. That is, of course, a task for all who are Catholics. We ought to partake of the sacraments, to live the virtues, to strive toward a deeply profound prayer life, and to fill our daily lives with Christ. By your happiness as a Catholic, you will do much to provide a role model.

One of the related tasks is for you to learn more about the Catholic faith so that you can begin answering her questions about God, the Trinity, the Sacraments, and why the Church is the one true hope for all.

I would suggest that you start by reading the Catechism and then visiting the many Catholic apologetics sites such as EWTN and Catholic.com (for Catholic Answers), and picking up a number of Catholic books on apologetics, such as Beginning Apologetics 1: How to Explain and Defend the Catholic Faith by Frank Chacon and Jim Burnham; A Pocket Guide to Catholic Apologetics by Patrick Madrid; Reasons to Believe: How to Understand, Explain, and Defend the Catholic Faith by Scott Hahn; and What Catholics Really Believe-Setting the Record Straight: 52 Answers to Common Misconceptions About the Catholic Faith by Karl Keating.