Impure thoughts
Question from Mimi on 10/3/2007:

Fr. Bob,

Ever since I accepted Christ 3 years ago I have been having many impure thoughts about God/Holy Spirit and fears of the devil. The thoughts that cross my mind are so bad I never thought my mind was capable of thinking such things. I am truly ashamed and devastated and think about why these things are happening to me when before I didn't think such things and because I thought it was going to be much better after accepting God into my life because before I didn't care about Him or even prayed to him and once even dared to insult him bad. I've had many dreams with the devil where he tells me horrible things and just things that happen to me while I'm alone and I wonder... why does this happen? I cried so much thinking I commited the unforgivable sin and was wondering if there's anything you can say make me feel better?

Thanks so much!

Answer by Fr. Robert J. Levis on 10/3/2007:

Mimi, You get these impure thoughts now precisely because you are afraid of them, you fear them. I suppose they come especially when approaching the Sacraments, i.e. at times when you want to be the most devout and recollected with the purest mind of all. When fear of their coming, you actually bring them on. At these times, one should remain very calm, peaceful, knowing that Jesus Himself is watching over you and nothing ev il can possibly happen to you. St. John of the Cross specifically teaches what I have just written, so my source is flawless. There can be no sin at all here. God bless you. Don't ever stop praying because of these trials and purging. Fr. Bob Levis