54-day rosary
Question from Christine on 3/29/2007:

I recently heard of prayer which you say the rosary daily for 54 days. Can you explain the correct process and what intentions this would be proper for? I like to pray for my son, Joshua, as he struggles through this life, and who has cystic fibrosis; and also for Angela, his sister's soul, as she died from the same disease. I say the rosary regularly, as well as the Divine Mercy chaplet. I have prayed through Mary since I was a child, and especially since I became a mother.

Christine--

A 54-day rosary is basically six novenas of the five-decade rosary that is said for a particular intention. The first set of three novenas (27 days) are said in petition for the intention and the second set of three novenas (27 days) are said in thanksgiving, even if the answer to your intention was not yet given. In other words, in the second set of novenas you are giving thanksgiving that God's will is going to be done. To make the novena, you pray a five-decade rosary for 54 days in a row for your intention.

Recommended reading:

The 54 Day Rosary Novena
A Rosary a Day
by Michelle Arnold