Online Catholic or Theology Degrees
Question from Cynthia Bowman on 11/12/2006:

I am a disabled veteran who feels I am being lead by God to obtain a degree in Theology and/or Catholic Theology. I must obtain this degree online since I am not able to physcialy attend a collage at this time. Can you recommend a ONLINE Collage for a Theology Degree?

Answer by Matthew Bunson on 11/18/2006:

There are a number of distance learning or online programs that can lead to undergraduate and/or graduate degrees in Catholic theology. Three fully accredited programs that I would highly recommend are:

Franciscan University Steubenville, www.franciscan.edu Catholic Distance University, www.cdu.edu The Sydney College of Divinity’s Broken Bay Institute, www.bbi.catholic.edu.au/

It is my understanding that it might be feasible to reach both the Ph.D. and Th.D. degrees with a minimal amount of travel through the Broken Bay Institute. The Australian Catholic University offers similar programs. In both cases, however, there are many requirements and stipulations. There are also a Ph.D. program through The Maryvale Institute in England and the respected Graduate Theological Foundation in the United States, Rome, and Oxford, although it is ecumenical in structure; a number of Catholic priests and religious are alumni.

I hope this helps. Readers are encouraged to offer their own suggestions.