Chaplet of Divine Mercy
Question from Jonathan on 10/18/2006:

Dear EWTN,

I am not Catholic, but I was watching the Chaplet of Divine Mercy on your station this afternoon and was intriugued. I found it to be very beautiful, but I was perplexed by the phrase "I offer you the body and blood, soul and divinity, of your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ our Lord in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world." I thought that was something only a priest could do during the sacrifice of the Mass. Surely the offering made in the mass is different in some way than what is offered in praying this chaplet. What am I missing?

Thank you.

Hi Jonathan,

Saying that prayer is not the same as offering Mass. At Mass we participate in the one sacrifice that Jesus made for us. But because He made that sacrifice, that perfect prayer is now ours. Therefore we can always makee reference to it. It is the most powerful prayer we can pray because it is His prayer that He made available to us. Basically, what we are saying to the Father is: "By the merits of His passion we ask for you mercy!"

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.