Mortal sin to miss Mass
Question from 8F7421G on 8/23/2006:

Please explain why missing Mass (if you're sick, that's different) is such a terrible mortal sin? How can it be a "crime" for it to be mortal?

Thanks!

8F7421G

Hi,

We live at a time when our culture puts great emphasis on me and what I need and what I have coming. Even in our Catholic parishes so much emphasis is directed toward the community and having liturgies that make us feel good. The problem here is that we are not the reason we exist. We were not created for ourselves. Liturgy is not entertainment that is all about us.

Each one of us was created to love and honor God. GOD IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN WE ARE! Liturgy is all about acknowledging God to be the sovereign infinitely good supreme being who created and redeemed us. This is what constitutes worship. Worship is simply acknowledging the truth of who God is. We OWE him such acknowledgement. This is why He called for it in the third Commandment: "Thou shalt keep holy the Lord's Day."

To determine that our agenda is more important than His on Sundays is to put ourselves before Him, making ourselves more important to us than He is. This is a lie and an insult to Him. This is what constitutes mortal or deadly sin: the denial that He deserves to come first.

Is there anything that you could possibly think of that is more important than celebrating His passion and death (which is what the Mass is) and thanking Him for it? What part of His passion are we more important than?

I suggest that you spend some time before the Blessed Sacrament, reflecting on His passion and letting Him speak to you.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.