catholic planet
Question from kmarie on 8/3/2006:

Hi, I came across this website, Catholic Planet. The owner states that he is a Roman Catholic Theologian etc. He gives specific information regarding end times etc. Do you know if this is a reputable catholic site? Thank you

Answer by Colin B. Donovan, STL on 9/7/2006:

He seems to base much on calling himself a Catholic theologian, but does not tell us the basis of that claim. However, some of his material, such as his claim that the Virgin Mary was, like Our Lord, conceived virginally and born virginally, are beyond far-fetched and without any basis whatsoever in Church tradition or theology.

In any case, if you want to know Catholic teaching on the end times, read the Catechism of the Catholic Church, beginning at paragraph 668.

If you wish to know what Catholic apparitions and mystics approved by the Magisterium (reliable sources, but NOT thereby part of Catholic teaching) say about the endtimes get Desmond Birch's book "Trial, Tribulation and Triumph," (clink on link for EWTN Religious Catalogue).

If you wish an overview of both the teaching and the approved mystics, get Desmond's and my video series The Last Things: In Time and Eternity.

See also the summary in my FAQ Endtimes, Millennium, Rapture.

Finally, keep in mind that while there are abundant claims of apparitions and mysticism today, none of the ongoing ones can claim approval of the Church, whereas, there is a tradition of approved mystics that reasonably can claim our attention, though not our faith. Stick with them and also keep your peace.