covering of statues during lent
Question from Franca Lunelli on 3/25/2006:

Could you please tell me why some churches cover the statues and the cross during lent with purple cloth.

My grandson asked a priest but he only said because it was the lenten season. There must be a deeper answer.

This was always done when I was a child and not some churches do and others don't.

Thank you for your time and answer. God Bless, Franca

Answer by Rev. Mark J. Gantley, JCL on 3/26/2006:

The rubric in the Sacramentary (Roman Missal) states: "The practice of covering crosses and images in the church may be observed, if the episcopal confernece decides. The crosses are to be covered until the end of the celebration of the Lord's passion on Good Friday. Images are to remain covered until the beginning of the Easter vigil."

So this practice is dependent upon the decision of the bishops' conference of a given country.

However, the covering is not done throughout all of Lent. The crosses (crucifixes) are to be covered only from the Fifth Sunday of Lent until Good Friday (as the rubric states), and other images are to be covered only from the Fifth Sunday of Lent until the Easter vigil.

The purpose of covering the crosses is to emphasize it being revealed on Good Friday. The purpose of covering other images is to take the focus off the images and focus the attention of the people on the central mysteries of our faith -- the death and resurrection of Jesus.