Marriage
Question from Francisca Okafor on 5/1/2005:

Finding out that my marriage to a non Catholic (though he was Catholic when he was younger, baptized, first communion & Confirmation just as I was before I married him)was not recognised in the Catholic church as permission was not given(I am not qurrying this) My question is: Does this mean that I have been living immorally with this man for nearly 22years? What do I do? I am back in the Catholic church with my children and waiting and waiting for a formal re-admittance for me and conversion for my children. Thank you very much.

Answer by Rev. Mark J. Gantley, JCL on 5/1/2005:

If your husband was baptized as a Catholic, he is still considered to be Catholic in the eyes of the Catholic Church.

If you were married in the Catholic Church, then your marriage is presumed to be valid unless proven otherwise, and you have not been living with him immorally.