Who are the Nephilim????
Question from Savireesy on 3/7/2005:

Dear Brothers in Christ,

Awhile back I read an interesting book that my father gave me to read. It was called "The Book of Enoch". Supposedly, the author was actually the Enoch that is mentioned in Sacred Scripture. In the "Book of Genesis", Enoch writes in more depth of the times of which Genesis portrays, like the location of the Garden of Eden, a description of the actual fruit our first parents ate that lost them their grace in God, etc. One subject in the book really caught my interest. It spoke of the Nephilim. Now in Genesis, its mentions; and I quote from Genesis 6:1-4, that the sons of heaven saw that the women of men were beautiful and took them as their wives. And to them were born the Nephilim, the giants and heros of old. Enoch explains that the "Sons of heaven" were actually the fallen angels and that they had procreated with human women and their offspring were these Nephilim. My questions are, what does the church teach on this subject? Are the "Sons of Heaven" mentioned in Genesis 6:1-4 the fallen angels that procreated with human women? Are the nephilim the offspring of angels and humans? Who are the nephilim? Does the church teach that the "Book of Enoch" is actually divenly inspired and written by the ancient Enoch himself? Or is it considered heresy or false religious writing? Thank you for any answers you can give me.

P.S. Have ever heard of this book?

Dear Saviraseey,

I never heard of the book. It might be one of those Gnostic accounts which the Church did not admit into the Canon of Scripture. It seems that today scholars are publishing old manuscripts of the Gnostics and use them to object to the account of the Church. So stick to the account of Genesis approved by the Church. For more information on who the daughters of men are, you will have to look up the scripture scholars. On many of these matters the Church has no definite teaching and leaves it to the scholars to work out.