Scrupulosity
Question from Katherine on 2/21/2005:

Dear Father Echert,

For the scrupulous writer, this is what I know about scrupulosity, and I have been struggling with OCD/Scrupulosity for about 46 years.

First of all, get in touch with Scrupulous Anonymous, Liguori, MO 63057-9999, or www.liguori.org. A newsletter called, Scrupulous Anonymous, is published monthly. You can have it mailed to you or read it on line. Father Thomas Santa CSSR, was the director of this for many years, and he relinquished it to Fr. Joseph Nolen, CSSR, this year. It is very helpful. There are also books out there, one written by Father Santa, "Understanding Scrupulosity", and many others. I made a retreat last August in Wisconsin with about 19 other OCD/scrupulous souls at the Redemptorist Retreat House. It brings tears to my eyes to talk about it, because it was such a grace filled experience to finally talk with other people who knew what you were talking about. OCD can be cured, but the problem is, there aren't that many therapists who are saavy to the Catholic religion. For instance, my therapist told me to miss Mass on Sunday and go comtemplate my naval or something similar. I told him I couldn't do that, and the patient/therapist relationship was broken.

It is a struggle, and it is a big struggle trying to find a priest who knows how to help. I know they are out there, just don't know where, so I go to Confession to two priests, mention my struggle with scrupulosity and let them do what they will.

I hope I haven't been too negative, but for the writer, contact SA, it's a start in the right direction.

Thanks Father and God Bless,

Katherine

Thanks for this helpful information, Katherine

PS Folks, I will be away from the computer until the weekend.