The Angel Raziel.
Question from Colin Wilkinson on 11/1/2004:

What is the, "Vatican's" and/or the, "Catholic Church's" view on Raziel?

Is the Angel Fiction, or a part of the true story of Mans creation?

Thank you very much for your time and patience. Hope I didn't place this question in the wrong topic.

Regards. C.W

Answer by Matthew Bunson on 11/6/2004:

I am not certain what you mean by the Church’s official position on the angel. Raziel in angel lore is reputed to be the Angel of Mysteries. He figured in various Jewish legends and was even the subject of a secret book of magic (called a grimoire) that was supposedly written by him. In truth, the book was penned by Jewish scholars during the Middle Ages, perhaps Eleazar of Worms or Isaac the Blind. As noted, he appears in a host of Jewish legends but his name is not a common one in the Christian lists of angels.