Petrine or Pauline Privilege
Question from Jon on 9/3/2004:

Dear sir or father,

I have heard recently about the Petrine Privilege and the Pauline Privilege. What are these? I have absolutely no idea what these two things deal with. Thank you in advance for your answer.

Humbly, Jon

Answer by Rev. Mark J. Gantley, JCL on 9/3/2004:

Pauline priviledge was instituted by St. Paul to address a serious pastoral problem in the Church in Corinth. Apparently, there were problems in marriages of believes married to unbelievers, and so St. Paul allowed a newly baptized person to enter a new marriage after a divorce from his or her unbaptized first spouse. Current Church law contains conditions for this dissolution to occur:

1. The original marriage must involve two unbaptized person.

2. There must be a baptism by one of the persons and only one of the persons. (If both are baptized, then their automatically becomes and sacrament and cannot be dissolved.)

3. There must be a separation from the still unbaptized person.

If all three of these conditions are met, the newly baptized person can enter a new marriage, and the new marriage dissolves the old one. Church authority must, however, verify that the conditions have been met. There are certain procedures in canon law for this (cc. 1143-1147), and this can be handled on the level of the diocese.

Petrine priviledge is somewhat similiar and somewhat different. It involves a dissolution of a non-sacramental marriage in favor of the faith, but in this case one of the parties in baptized and one is not. Also, the dissolution happens by the power of the Roman Ponfiff, not by the new marriage, and the case must be submitted by a diocese to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith at the Vatican. There are no actual canons in the code on the Petrine priviledge, so dioceses must rely on an instruction and norms issued by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in 2001.

I would add that Pauline priviledge is far more common than Petrine.