Infusion of Soul into Body
Question from Anne on 12/21/2003:

Hi,

I've been reading "The Life of the Blessed Virgin Mary", from the visions of Venerable Anne Catherine Emmerich, and I came upon a passage that confused me:

"I had a vision of the creation of Mary's most holy soul and of its being united to her most pure body... When seventeen weeks and five days after the conception of the Blessed Virgin had gone by (that is to say, five days before Anna's pregnancy was half accomplished), I saw Our Lady's holy mohter lying asleep in her bed in her house near Nazareth. Then there came a shining light above her, and a ray from this light fell upon the middle of her side, and the light passed into her in the shape of a little shining human figure... It was made known to me that the Blessed Virgin's soul was united to her body five days earlier than with other children..."

Does this mean that a childs soul is not infused into it's body until seventeen and half weeks after conception? I always thought the soul was present at the time of conception.

Thank you,

Anne

Dear Anne

This is not a magisterial teaching and to my mind means nothing other than one woman's interpretation of what she is claiming to have seen.

Anne Catherine Emmerich is not a doctor of the Church, nor is her writing to be confused with authentic Church teaching.