Why Penance
Question from Bill on 12/9/2003:

Dear Father, My brother called last night and was telling me about a conversation with his boss (a non-catholic) about a lady who was dying of cancer. She told my brother that she was offering her suffering so that her son would return to the church. My brother's boss could not understand how this could be since Christ's sufferings were complete and had already sufficed for everyone's salvation. He also believes in predestination.

Can you tell me how help my brother effectively respond to this?

Also, I've heard a quote from St. Paul that says "... make up for what is lacking in the sufferings of Christ." (Col. 1, 24). It's always been my understanding that Christ's sufferings were complete and that we did not add to them, but were offered in union with them, as the Concluding Doxology in the Eucharistic Prayer references. I read the area around this and this quote threw me for a loop. Could you explain this as well?

Thanks!! Bill

Bravo for this beautiful soul, who offers up her suffering to save her son from eternal loss. I recommend this to many parents and grandparents, who face similar situations.

As to the question, Christ is entirely sufficient with regards to the SOURCE of grace, but as to channels of grace, by which we receive and participate in that grace, there are many, including the sacraments and such things as what this mother is doing for her son.

Thanks, Bill