Virtues and the Luminous Mysteries
Question from Lidia on 8/12/2003:

What particular virtue is attached to each of the Luminous mysteries? Thank you.

Lidia--

To the best of my knowledge, the Church has not officially promulgated that particular virtues are to be attached to the new luminous mysteries (which the Holy Father, John Paul II, added to the rosary just last year). Because the rosary is a private devotion and not incumbent upon Catholics -- although it has been strongly encouraged as a means of growth in holiness -- you are free to meditate on whatever virtue seems most fitting to you while praying a particular mystery.

For more information on the new luminous mysteries, please click here. You may also wish to read an article I wrote on the luminous mysteries of the rosary for Catholic Answers' December 2002 issue of This Rock, titled "Light for the World." You may obtain a copy of the article by calling 1-888-291-8000.