Personal relationship with Jesus
Question from Edith on 8/18/2001:

Considering your last response,I am beginning to see validity in the Protestant view of having an exclusive and personal relationship with Jesus.If Jesus is God,and God is omnipresent,why have middlemen?Why not take the direct path?I can see why Protestants view the ministrations of the priest as unnecessary and beside the point.They want a direct relationship with Jesus without mediators.Why have a priest who is another Jesus when one can go to Jesus Himself in prayer?Your response troubled me.Thank you v

Dear EDith,

There is a certain logic about the Protestant view. It fits the assumtpion that it is better to go to God directly rather that to go through intermediaries. But the basic question is not up to what WE assume is better. The basic question is up to what Christ intended when he founded the Church. And it certainly seems that Christ intended for human being to work through other human being in a Church rather than to try to get to God without a Church.

Dr. GEraghty