temple of the Holy Spirit
Question from dr. charles lastrapes on 7/22/2001:

I have always been taught that "I am the temple of the Holy Spirit". If this is the teaching of the church, then why doesn't the church teach it's members about the care of the physical temple (physical body) as well as maintaining our spiritual health? As a physician and catholic, I was very interested in reading the results of the Seventh Day Adventist Health Study in a prominent medical journal. It seems that as a group they are much healthier than the general population, living 10 yrs. longer on average, with a much lower incidence of all the major degenerative diseases that afflict our population. As a church they actively include health teaching proven to enhance wellness. I have found that when an individual is seriously ill that it's hard for them to think about much else. Wouldn't it make sense for the church to address all aspects of the individual with the aim of ultimately bringing us closer to God? I look forward to your comments. Dr. Charles Lastrapes

Dear Dr. Charles,

You are quite correct in pointing out the teaching that human beings are the temples of the Holy Spirit. This places great emphasis on the body itself. The dignity of the body is also brought out by the fact that God took on a body through Mary at the Nativity. Also important in the effort to remember the dignity of the human body is the fact that the corpse is brought into Church to be blessed and that it is given a decent Christian buriel. This brings out the notion that the body is the vehicle of the soul. Further, the fact that at the last day the body will be reunited to the soul again places great emphasis upon the dignity of the body. The point is that the more that people pay attention to the Church, the more they will pay attention to the dignity of the human body.