St. Gertrude Prayer
Question from Dominic Guzman on 6/28/2001:

Dear Dr. Carroll,

Here is the St. Gertrude The Great Prayer:

Eternal Father I offer you the most precious blood of your divine son Jesus in union with the masses said throughout the world today for all the holy souls in purgatory for sinners everywhere sinners in the universal church those in my own home and within my family. Amen. Jesus, Jesus, Jesus

St Gertrude The Great praying this prayer may have released 1000 souls from purgatory each time she said it but that does not mean that this will occur when we say it.

The efficacy of ones prayers is directly related to the level of sanctity and virtue posessed by the individual. That's why we pray for the intercession of various saints. We believe their prayers before God are more efficacious than ours.

Nevertheless I pray the St. Gertrude Prayer as well as offer Rosarys for the intentions of the repose of the holy souls in purgatory. Even if I help to release one soul in my life time it's better than none at all. Also you never no when your prayers are being offered along with other prayers throughout the world and the combination of them may help to release a soul from purgatory.

Lastly don't forget the most efficacious prayer of all in releasing the holy souls from purgatory is the Holy Sacrafice of The Mass.

Soli Deo- Dominic

Answer by Dr. William Carroll on 7/3/2001:

Thank you for the information. - Dr. Carroll