Devotions on First Friday and Saturday
Question from Paul Rossman on 11/20/2001:

I am looking for an explanation of the promises made to those attend mass and do the other requirements for special blesings etc. when doing this for nine? consecutive monthes. I understand these are seperate for Fridays and Saturdays.

Answer by David Gregson on 12/6/2001:

The First Friday devotion is derived from the apparitions of Our Lord to St Margaret Mary in France, in 1673-5 (see The Sacred Heart of Jesus). "I promise you in the excessive mercy of my heart that my all-poweful love will grant to all those who communicate on the first Friday in nine consecutive months the grace of final penitence; they shall not die in my disgrace nor without receiving the sacraments; my divine heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment."

The First Saturday devotion is derived from the apparitions of Our Lady in 1917, to the children (Lucia, Bl. Francisco, and Bl. Jacinta) at Fatima, in Portugal.(See The Revelation of the Immaculate Heart at Fatima in 1917.) "I promise to assist at the hour of death, with the graces necessary for salvation, all those who, on the first Saturday of five consecutive months, shall confess, receive Holy Communion, recite five decades of the Rosary, and keep me company for fifteen minutes while meditating on the fifteen mysteries of the Rosary, with the intention of making reparation to Me."