Statue of Mary in Church
Question from Marie Buchanan on 10/5/2001:

At our parish, during May and October, we take our statue of Mary out of the closet and place it in the sanctuary. We have been told that the Church does not permit the statue next to the altar and that it must be moved towards the side so as not to draw attention away from the Mass.

It has been my understanding that the only place a statue is not permitted is on top of the altar. Placing this Marian statue beside the altar would be in keeping with the laws and mind of the Church.

Which is correct?

Thank-you and God bless,

-Marie

Answer by Colin B. Donovan, STL on 10/18/2001:

I think it should be a suitable distance away, a few feet at least, but NOT for the reason cited to you. After all, Mary stood at the foot of the Cross. However, since an altar must be free-standing to allow incensing, if need be, I do not think that a statue could be immediately next to the altar. If you have noticed papal Masses at which a statue of Our Lady is present, she is always some feet away.