Difference between Nicene and Apostles Creed
Question from John on 1/22/2002:

Can you explain why the Apostles Creed and Nicene Creed are different. Where do they fit in history. I know the Nicene Creen was part of a council in 325, but I do not hear much about the history of the Apostles Creed.

Thanks

Answer by Dr. William Carroll on 1/23/2002:

See the excellent article "Apostles' Creed" in that best of all Catholic sources, the old Catholic Encyclopedia, online at www.newadvent.org/cathen/a.htm. Please remember always to check there FIRST before asking me a question. The Apostles Creed was drawn up by the early Church before the middle of the second century, and the Nicene Creed was drawn up by the Council of Nicaea in 325 to state true Catholic doctrine against the spreading Arian heresy. - Dr. Carroll