history behind the dinner blessing
Question from Matthew Coles on 4/5/2002:

I couldn't find a better forum for this question than history. I was wondering if you would give me some information on the prayer that is customarily said before eating: Bless us O Lord, and these thy gifts, which we are about to receive from thy bounty, through Christ our Lord, Amen. I have asked several people about the origins of this prayer and how it has become so popular, but nobody seems to have an answer. I was hoping you might be able to give me some information. Thank you so much for your time and effort. I truly appreciate it. In Christ, Matthew Coles

Answer by Dr. Warren Carroll on 4/6/2002:

The Jews had prayers of blessing before meals. In this as in so many other matters, the Christians took over this Jewish custom, using their own words. - Dr. Carroll