Television Ministries
Question from Michelle Vazquez on 3/13/2002:

I have some family members who put all their faith and money into Benny Hinn Ministries. They have tried to get me to one of BH Revivals. They tell me that if I have TRUE faith, I will be saved and that my faith will heal me and set me free. They make claims that Benny Hinn heals people and that all these other programs on TBN all have personal contact with GOD. That GOD also talks to them. Benny Hinn also states that his ministry will even accept and heal Catholics. My family stresses that to me. I am catholic, I was baptized catholic and this issue goes against every belief that I have. I have watched this Benny Hinn and he performs miracles on stage in front of millions. My question is, does GOD talk with them? Does this ministry do more damage than healing? What is the Catholic Churches opinion on the ministries of TBN? May I be blessed with knowledge and understanding. GOD Bless, Mrs V

The Catholic Church has not taken a specific stand on the ministries you mention. However, it is very clear from observing these ministries that they do not preach the Christian faith in its fullness and that there is much to be suspicious of in their reports of miracles.

Benny Hinn in particular has a penchant for making unorthodox claims regarding the nature of the Godhead. For example, arguing that the Father and the Spirit both have "spirit bodies" (whatever those are) and that within the Trinity "there's nine of them" (whatever that means).

James Akin Catholic Answers