Four Pillars of the Catholic Faith
Question from John Hoffpauir on 7/30/2002:

I frequently find myself defending my faith and have a good feeling with the exception of "Catholic". The other three elements of the pillars are 'rock' solid in the bible even some of the user friendly version. I know the basic origin of "Catholic". If Jesus mandated to the Apostles of spreading the word of the gospel in His Church throughout the world, why did we need to add 'Catholic' to the Church name. The implied meaning of the Church Christ established was already universal. Is there another route I can take to try to clarify this to my brothers in other denominations?

Answer by Bill Bilton on 7/30/2002:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03449a.htm--this web site will provide you with detailed information about the term "Catholic" and I think you will find it helpful in discussions with your non-believeing friends.