Rosary vs. Chaplets?
Question from Tom Fulton on 10/30/2002:

Hello;

I try to pray the rosary at least a few times a week, particularly before I attend Mass. Recently I purchased a Chaplet of St. Joseph string of beads which I enjoy a great deal.

Is it more beneficial to say the Rosary in place of a Chaplet, or do they both provide equal benefit?

thanks;

Tom

Answer by David Gregson on 12/30/2002:

Of the many different chaplets, recommended with varying degrees of authority, the highest recommendation has been given to the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, by Pope John Paul II, in dedicating the Shrine of Divine Mercy in Poland, and, according to St. Faustina, by Our Lord Himself. Yet an even higher recommendation has been given to the Holy Rosary, by numerous Popes, including the present Holy Father in a recent Apostolic Letter, Rosarium Virginis Mariae, and by Our Lady, most notably at Fatima. A plenary indulgence has been granted to the Rosary, when said "in a church or public oratory or in a family group, or religious Community or pious Association" (Handbook of Indulgences).