Inverted Cross on the Pope's chair
Question from Barbara on 10/14/2002:

One of the people where I work was viewing a website containing pictures of the Pope when he visited Israel in the year 2000. It shows the Pope at the Mount of the Beatitudes sitting on a chair with an inverted cross cut into it. This individual was telling me that an inverted cross is a satanic sign which proves that the Catholic Church is the work of Satan. Could you please explain why this cross is inverted. Also, is the chair that he was sitting in a permanent fixture at that site? and how long has it been there? Thank you so much for your help.

Barbara

The sites were: geocities.com/rapture77/indrome (and) themissionchurch.com/popebeatitudes

Answer by Bill Bilton on 10/15/2002:

Your friend is coming out of left field! Visiting the Holy Land, where St. Peter had traveled so extensively, it was the pope's desire to honor him. At the time that St. Peter was crucified, he requested that his crucifixion cross be erected upside down as he was not good enough to be crucified in the same manner as Our Lord. Thus the inverted crucifix.