Traditional Latin Mass & Novus Ordo
Question from Greg Hessel on 8/8/2002:

Father Levis,

Being a celebrant of both the Novus Ordo and the Traditional Latin Mass I must ask: Which do you prefer? After reading the missals of both it would seem that the Novus Ordo is definitely inferior as far as the quality of the prayers is concerned. How could it not be if the Novus Ordo prayers were written in the span of months compared to the Traditional Latin Mass which developed over thousands of years? As an aside, would you recommend the writings of Michael Davies? I have found them very interesting. God Bless, Greg

Answer by Fr. Robert J. Levis on 8/12/2002:

Dear Greg, I don't hesitate to admit I prefer the celebration of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass in Latin, the so-called Tridentine Mass. Its prayers are more explicit about the sacrifice of Christ on Calvary, more universal, more transcendent, more angelic. In this Mass, I am united with the saints and martyrs of the past centuries, some of them executed because of their fidelity to this very Mass form, e.g. the English Martyrs. I do celebrate the Novus Ordo, I hope, with fervor and devotion. But with the many distractions that accompany it. I face the congregation with all its inevitable sights and sounds. Often the readers are inarticulately willing, but distracting. The extraordinary ministers come to help, sometimes too many, sometimes too few. It seems so truncated, so briefly direct, so quickly over and finished. I expect one day that both forms of the Mass will be united with some vernacular in the Tridentine form, the right of concelebration, and bidding prayers. And then some Latin in the Novus Ordo, more prayers of petition and praise of the Trinity, etc. God bless. Fr. Bob Levis