40-hours devotion
Question from marge on 11/22/2002:

Dear Father Levis:

Can you tell me the current procedures/rubrics for forty hours devotion? Or, is this devotion no longer held?

I checked the Catholic Encyclopedia which provided a very thorough definition of the devotion and historical background, but their section on the Rubrical Requirements led me to believe that the information was possibly outdated. (i.e. “At night the great doors of the church must be closed and women excluded”) That’s just one example – I didn't choose it just because of the 'women' part - the rest is similar in that a lot of it seems unrealistic today.

I think they may be 'old' rubrics.

Can you tell me if parishes are still permitted to celebrate this devotion and where I could find the current Rubrical Requirements for celebration as well as information on any indulgences granted to it by the Holy See?

Thank you and God bless you

Answer by Fr. William A. Rice on 11/23/2002:

Marge, Pastors are still encouraged by most(?) Bishops to hold Forty Hours for the occasion of parish adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. I know of no definite rubrical requirements other than the expectation of EXPOSITION of the Eucharist for adoration. Look in an old prayer book to see how it was carried out years ago. That would still be a good format, even though it would be optional. Perhaps some Worship Offices in some Dioceses in the nation have actually put forth a prescription... Fr. Rice