Franciscans
Question from phyllis Martel on 2/7/2003:

my husband and I watch Mass every day and notice that some of the priests wear brown garments, some gray and some white. Do they not all belong to the order of Franciscans? What is the difference? thank you Phyllis Nartel

Answer by Colin B. Donovan, STL on 2/15/2003:

Recently Fr. Benedict Groeschel was here. His habit is gray. He is a Franciscan Friar of the Renewal, a new Franciscan community of which he is a co-founder. Fr. Angelus is a Franciscan Capuchin, a 16th century branch of the Franciscan Order (the same branch to which St. Padre Pio belonged). The other local priests, Frs. Joseph, Francis and Anthony, as well as Deacon Mark and the habited brothers who assist at Mass, are Franciscan Missionaries of the Eternal Word, a community founded by Mother Angelica and under the supervision of the bishop of Birmingham (new comunities are at first under the local bishop). I don't recall any white-habited visiting priests recently.