Holy Thursday
Question from Donna on 4/18/2003:

Hello, I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum. Is it OK for their to only be 3 people on Holy Thursday who get their feet washed.I don't mean that other people didn't show, I mean there was only 3 people on purpose. I thought it was supposed to be like Scripture and have 12 people to get their feet washed. and on the side, is it ok for woman to get their feet washed if asked? Since Jesus only washed the feet of men? By the way....Thank You for all your time with EWTN's Q and A. God Bless. +JMJ+ donna

So far as I know, in accord with Vatican directives, only men are to have their feet washed by the priest, since this commemorates the washing of the feet of the apostles. As to number, ideally it should be twelve but I am not certain that this is a requirment. The experts in Liturgy may have a more precise answer on this.

Thanks, Donna