Re: Visitation
Question from Mark Watson on 5/7/2003:

Dear Mr Bunson

Regarding the query from John Carter on the moving of the date for the Visitation from 2nd July to 31st May, I would have thought this was done in view of the falling of the Nativity of St John the Baptist on 24th June. A 2nd July Visitation would thereby render the account in St Luke rather anachronistic!

As for UK (Anglican) practice, it is my experience that most churches now follow Rome and adopt 31st May, although where the church's Feast of Title is the Visitation (as ours is) we still celebrate the parish foundation, although not the Feast, on 2nd July.

Thank you and other EWTN contributors for your work.

Mark

Answer by Matthew Bunson on 5/7/2003:

Thank you for your thoughts and for the UK perspective.