bible writers
Question from JS on 10/18/2012:

I understand that the bible is divinely inspired, but I have 2 questions on the New Testament. 1) Were all the New Testatment writers Catholic? 2) Which of the writers were actually Apostles? And two more on the Old Testament. 1) Was Moses the writer of the first five books? 2) Who wrote the rest of the Old Testament that wasn't written by Moses? Thanks.

All New Testament writers were Catholic, that is, Christians (remember, Catholic is a later term applied but it is synoymous with Christian, when properly applied). The Apostles who wrote include:

Matthew, John, Paul, Peter, James

The following were not Apostles:

Mark, Luke

The first five books of the Bible, the Pentatech, are traditionally ascribed to Moses, directly or indirectly. I personally accept this, but many modern scholars do not, in part or whole. As to the rest, it varies among prophets, King David (psalms), King Solomon (directly or indirectly), and others, some of whom are unknown to us.