DISOBEDIENCE
Question from JS MORRIS on 6/4/2012:

ROMANS CHAP 11, VS 30-32 DOES THE WORD DISOBEDIENCE REFER TO DISOBEDIENCE UNDER THE OLD TESTAMENT LAW, OR CONCUPISCENCE, OR SOME OTHER DISOBEDIENCE THAT I HAVE OVERLOOKED? THANK YOU, JS MORRIS

Disobedience here can be understood as failure of religion, that is, to believe in the one true God and all that he reveals. An earlier version, the time-tested Douay Rheims, actually uses the word unbelief in place of disobedience. Here follows the modern English text at issue:

I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers, so that you will not become wise [in] your own estimation: a hardening has come upon Israel in part, until the full number of the Gentiles comes in,s 26and thus all Israel will be saved,t as it is written:u

“The deliverer will come out of Zion,

he will turn away godlessness from Jacob;

27and this is my covenant with them

when I take away their sins.”v 28In respect to the gospel, they are enemies on your account; but in respect to election, they are beloved because of the patriarchs.w 29For the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable.x

Triumph of God’s Mercy. 30* Just as you once disobeyed God but have now received mercy because of their disobedience, 31so they have now disobeyed in order that, by virtue of the mercy shown to you, they too may [now] receive mercy. 32For God delivered all to disobedience, that he might have mercy upon all.y

33* Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How inscrutable are his judgments and how unsearchable his ways!z

34“For who has known the mind of the Lord* or who has been his counselor?”a 35* “Or who has given him anythingb that he may be repaid?”

36For from him and through him and for him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen