Lying
Question from Anonymous on 11/3/2012:

Dear Fr. Echert,

I decided to try and make plans to go out of town on Election Day just so I could vote on the absentee ballot. The electoral office is more convenient to me than going to the voting precinct where I am registered.

Is it a mortal sin to do this?

Would it be a mortal sin to lie on the absentee ballot about one's whereabouts on Election Day just so one could have the convenience of voting absentee?

I myself voted absentee this year and happen to be away from my local area. I would say that if you anticipated aven the possibility or probability of being away, that is sufficient to vote absentee. Does your request actually inquire as to where you will be?