Song of Songs
Question from Patricia Umana on 6/17/2012:

Dear Father Echert,

I have always been told that the book Songs of Songs in the bible depicts the love God has for us, His people; however, I came across a different explanation that states that the book Song of Songs also teaches us how a healthy relationship between a man and a woman should be. That sexuality is something holy God created and He teaches us how to love each other purely through this. I would like to understand the real message God wants to give us through this book.

Thank you, Patricia

Both are true. The Bible uses the image of a bride and groom to reflect the love of God for his People. That image is most perfectly seen in the Incarnate Christ and His love the Church, but even in the Old Testament it is reflected, in such writings as Song of Songs. And because marriage is intended to be a sign of this love of God for his Church, all the more it is vital that Christians reflect this love in their marriages, which includes chaste sexual expression within marriage. It is not lust, which uses the spouse for selfish purposes, but true love expressed by the whole person, including bodily.

Thanks, Patricia