Martial arts and its chan Buddhist roots
Question from DR on 1/9/2014:

Hello and thank you for your time. I am a Catholic and a martial artist. Chinese martial arts has its roots in chan buddhism and at the highest levels of knowledge it speaks of ourselves being one with the universe/emptyness. That we can reach this level of reality by looking inward toward our hearts and minds and mastering our selves. I was taught that this is not in contradiction to Christianity. I am taught that the difference is where the root of this ability is from. The bible teaches that we are made after the image and likeness of God and that God placed within us the ability to know truth in this world. My question is .. is this type of thought contradictory to Christianity. I hope this made sense.. Thank you again.

Dear DR,

You have it right! The Bible says that all of us are created to the image of God. With this iage in us we can then discern better what God wants of us. We are not one with emptiness. We are one with God, who is a very real person, not some general power in the universe. God created the world from nothing. Nothingness is no more. Only God and his creation is real.