Communion blessing for non-Catholics
Question from Eric on 3/16/2014:

I have started attending my local parish, and have the desire and intent to join as soon as allowed, which will be next year. I am currently a baptized Baptist. They said I would have to complete the RCIA class before I could be admitted to the Church. I have no problem with that, I am enjoying the journey that God has placed me on, and if it takes that long, then so be it. My question is this. When Communion is offered I have been told to go up and receive a blessing. Is this allowed? If so, what should I do, or say before or after the blessing?

Eric--

First of all, please keep in mind that not all parishes offer blessings to those not receiving Communion during Communion time. A blessing is offered at the end of Mass for the whole congregation, and some parishes prefer not to give individual blessings during Communion time. Since your parish does offer an individual blessing though, you are welcome to go up for one.

To do so, enter the Communion line when those in your pew do so, then fold your arms over your chest so that your hands rest just beneath your shoulders. (From the front, it will look like you are making an X over your chest with your arms.) When you reach the head of the line, the minister will offer you a blessing. You don't have to say anything, but you can say "Amen" after the blessing if you wish. Then return to your seat in the pew.

You can also make a spiritual communion from your seat in the pew by praying silently for communion with Christ and with all those present.