Spirituality
Question from Joyce JohnsonT on 4/14/2009:

An article was blogged on Spirit Daily and someone notified me immediately as the Topic was La Salette Journey-Catholic Blog dedicated toward our Lady of La Salette: Reconciler of Sinners La Saleet Attleboro: The Spiritual Sicness Continues... They were to offer a lenten series led by Fr. John Sullivan, M.S. and members of the dissent group Pax Chrisit -Pax Christi seem to have found a home at this La Salette Shrine. Even more distrubing, however, is that the shrine will be onducting a series of book discussions on "Open the Doors, by Joyce Rupp. They explain that Joyce can hardly be described as Catholic. They refer to Pegan world contacts, etc. Please inform me of both of the above. I'm not familar with either, however, I take people to this shrine and this all sounds indifferent to the Catholic Church's teachings. Thank you for your help on this matter. God bless you and your ministr. Joyce

Answer by Fr. Jay Toborowsky on 4/15/2009:

While I, too, have been to the LaSalette Shrine in Massachusetts, I can't really comment on what's happening there. I don't know enough about it to give you any credible opinion. You may want to search for parishes in the area of the shrine, and see what they think.

But remember, regardless of what's being discussed there, nothing should take away from the idea of visiting Catholic shrines. The idea of Shrines is rooted in our Catholic tradition, and one can certainly pray at a shrine regardless of the programs they have going on.