Purgatory
Question from Cari Flory on 11/3/2012:

What bible scriptures does the Catholic church base their belief on purgatory? I am currently taking RCI Classes because of my curiousity about catholic beliefs. I have had an interest for sometime, or should I say spiritual pull toward the catholic church for many years.

Kind Regards, Cari

Dear Carie,

It would be wise of you to take the doctrine of purgatory on the authority of the Church. While there are references to scripture, they are not as obvious as the existence of heaven and hell. You can check Catholic web sites for the passages. But in the final analysis it is the acceptance of the Pope as Christ's Vicar on earth that is the anchor of the Catholic Faith. That's the basic issue with which you are wrestling. I hope your teachers have the same attitude.