Abortion for Rape, Incest or Mother's Life
Question from Skyline099 on 7/15/2013:

Actually two questions: Why does the Church accept abortion if the mother's life is threatened? My pro-choice friends have asked me that.

Why doesn't the Church make a stand against people like Pelosi, Biden, Kennedys, who are Catholic and support pro-choice? I have trouble explaining that one and for the life of me I can't see how those people could receive Communion and know that they support abortion?

Thank you.

Dear SKYLINE

The Catholic Church does not accept abortion in the case of a mother's life. Here is the official teaching, enunciated by Pope Pius XII:

Every human being, even the infant in the mother’s womb, has the right to life immediately from God, not from the parent or any human society or authority. Therefore there is no man, no human authority, no science, no medical, eugenic, social, economic or moral “indication” that can show or give valid juridical title for direct deliberate disposition concerning an innocent human life - which is to say, a disposition that aims at its destruction either as an end in itself or as the means of attaining another end that is perhaps in no way illicit itself. Thus, for example, to save the life of the mother is a most noble end, but the direct killing of the child as a means to this end is not licit.

Aa far as Bishops reprimanding Catholics like Pelosi and Biden, I think you should read my book: THE BROKEN PATH: How the Bishops got lost in the weeds of American politics.