RE: Responsibility of EMHCs
Question from L.R. on 10-18-2015:
So, if say John Kerry (a pro-abortion "Catholic") was at Mass in the city of Boston, an EMHC would have to give him Communion? What about other pro-abortion Catholics? Are they to receive Communion too if they were in line simply because the priest didn't say not to? If I were still an EMHC, I wouldn't give them Communion, and I'd deal with the priest afterwards.
L.R.--

It does not matter who is in the Communion line. Unless the pastor specifically instructed you to withhold Communion from that person, it would be your obligation to distribute Communion to that person. If you refused Communion to a communicant on your own, without instruction from the pastor, many pastors would relieve you of any further privileges to act as an EMHC in their parish. If you cannot abide by the rules governing the ministry of extraordinary minister of holy Communion, then you are not called to that ministry and should find some other way to be of service to your parish community.