Responsibility of EMHCs
Question from Marie on 10-14-2015:
I've been asked if I'd be interested in being an extraordinary minister of holy Communion. I've refused because I'm uncertain as to what to do when approached by a fellow parishioner who is in a state of serious sin. If I were an EMHC, what would I ask my priest about the proper protocol in administering Communion to anyone without being judgmental?
Marie--

EMHCs have no authority to deny Communion to anyone in the Communion line at Mass, unless specifically told by the pastor to do so. An EMHC must give Communion to all who present themselves for Communion, according to the protocols outlined by your diocese and parish for distribution of Communion. You cannot know who is in a state of serious sin, and must presume that all who are in the Communion line have examined their conscience and are disposed to receive. For all the EMHC knows, that person may have gone to confession right before Mass.

Think of EMHCs as sacramental Pez dispensers. If you cannot meet that requirement, then you are not suited for the task of being an EMHC.