Eucharist
Question from Claire on 02-07-2015:
I am troubled by what I heard a priest say this week to my CCD class. We were discussing proper respect and reverent handling of the Eucharist. A student asked the priest if the Eucharist could ever be buried? To my surprise, the priest answered "yes." He explained that under certain conditions he has buried a consecrated host.

For example, when he was trying to administer Communion to a sick person and they could not swallow it, but did have it in their mouth. He said he removed it and then buried it. I was appalled, but said nothing. Is this correct?

Claire--

No, this is not correct. In a case where the Eucharist cannot be swallowed after being placed on someone's tongue, the host should be dissolved in water. Once dissolved, the Real Presence no longer remains, and the water can then be poured into the earth. Your priest's confession of what he has done to the Eucharist is sufficiently grave that I recommend writing a letter to your bishop, who should be the one to correct your priest and make certain he is fully instructed in the proper care and handling of the Eucharist.