Kissing the host
Question from Jan on 07-08-2014:
I watched Divine Mercy Sunday Mass at the Vatican. One lady received Communion in her hand and then kissed the host before putting it on her tongue. I have never seen that before and wonder if doing that is proper.
Jan--

No, it is not appropriate. I'm certain the woman meant well, but the most reverent action in this situation is the one the Church stipulates for receiving Communion in the hand: Immediately after receiving the host into your hands, pick up the host from your left hand with your right hand, and then place the host directly on your tongue. No other action, no matter how well intentioned, should be done before swallowing the host.