Divorce and Communion
Question from Rose on 05-08-2014:
A priest stated that if you were divorced that you should not partake in the body and blood of Jesus. My husband divorced me, so I had no choice in the matter. I did not break my vows and did not file for divorce, so why would I be unable to accept the Eucharist?
Rose--

Assuming you have reported the priest's words accurately, what he said was incomplete. Divorce, in and of itself, does not necessarily impede a Catholic from receiving the Eucharist. Only if that person does not have annulment and becomes involved in a romantic relationship or attempts a new marriage during the spouse's lifetime is that person impeded from receiving the Eucharist. If you have not civilly remarried after your divorce, and are not involved with in a romantic relationship with another person, you are able to receive the sacraments.