Applause
Question from Tran Nguyen Tu on 07-17-2006:
Dear C.A.,

One of my friends suggests that we should not applaud the choir after it has performed a beautiful song after the Holy Communion. He says that the song should direct souls to the Lord. I find it unnatural if we don't applaud. Please give us some advice.

Regards,

Dear Tran,

The Church is not a concert hall and the liturgy is not a performance. We are there to direct our attention to God--not each other. There is a time and place for everything. The Church is for prayer--not performances! If it feels natural to applaud, then I question the kind of music the choir is singing. One wouldn't be tempted to applaud Gregorian chant.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.