Re.: Titles
Question from JPF on 08-02-2003:
Hi,

It is perhaps worth mentioning in connection with yur informative reply that the Pope himself has no problem with addressing official correspondence to his cardinals in the form e.g. "Cardinal Edward Egan" as opposed to "Edward Cardinal Egan". Anyone who goes to the Vatican website (www.vatican.va) and enters the word "cardinal" in the search facility can easily verify this.

Nor can it be said to be a recent practice, as I have seen official letters addressed in Italian by Pius XII to his Secretary of State in the form "Cardinal Luigi Maglione" rather than "Luigi Cardinal Maglione", although in Latin correspondence the latter form of address is used.

Newspapers or commentators who refer to "Cardinal Edward Egan" etc. can therefore justify the usage by an appeal to papal precedent - assuming their reports aren't filed in Latin ,that is!

Answer by Matthew Bunson on 08-03-2003:
Thank you for your additional information. As noted in the first reply, there is a tendency not to use the traditional form, although I have seen it quite often in Latin documents, along with the other traditional salutations.