Insurance coverage for contraception
Question from Michael on 10-07-2017:

Trump recently announced rescinding a provision in the Affordable Care Act so that employers are not required to provide contraception coverage in health insurance. I am not sure why having the coverage is a problem if no one is required to use it. Can it not be considered under the same rationale that allows people to patronize, even work in stores that dispense contraception?

Michael

My commentary, which is linked below, makes it clear that Trump did something that was far from being great. As I said: The Trump administration’s announcement, published in the Federal Register, limits the manner in which the Obama contraceptive mandate can be imposed on entities and religious groups. The rule provides a modicum of protection for those who have moral objections to being ordered by the government to provide contraception.

MIchael

The short answer is that you are right, there is no difference between the two scenarios. Here are my further insights.

Regardless of what the regulation really says, it has really created a stir. Yet the proposed regulation makes it clear right up front that “these interim final rules expand exemptions to protect moral convictions for certain entities and individuals whose health plans are subject to a mandate of contraceptive coverage through guidance issued pursuant to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.”

Here is a link to my commentary: http://www.all.org/the-contraceptive-mandate-and- nitwits/?CategoryId=1